The Omaha Education Association has established four major focus areas for the association and strategic priorities under each focus area. The OEA Board of Directors continues to focus the efforts of the Association toward attaining these strategic priorities.
“The vision of the Omaha Education Association is a great public education for every student.”
The mission of the Omaha Education Association is to advance the professional interests of our members in order to make public education the best it can be for students, staff, and our community.
OEA Strategic Priorities:
Professional & Community
- Expand and continue to promote community partnerships in the Omaha community where educators and community members share a common vision, mission and responsibility to support quality teaching and learning for all.
Member Benefits Committee
Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee
- Increase and retain membership.
- Increase communication to members and potential members about the benefits of Association membership.
- Increase level of member’s involvement in, and support for, Association activities.
- Recruit, retain and support teachers of ethnic minority status to become active leaders in OEA.
Instructional Advocacy Committee
- Ensure that classroom teachers play a central role in district educational improvement through collaboration with the district involving the design and implementation of curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Advocate for teacher ownership of our professional growth and development.
- Advance the professional and economic interests of OPS educators by exploring new venues to discuss improvement of teaching and learning.
- Utilize every opportunity for interest-based collective bargaining and collaborative problem-solving approaches.
- Continue to serve OPS educators through high quality timely assistance, representation and advocacy in schools and throughout the district
Political Action for Children and Education
- Strengthen OEA’s advocacy for public education by monitoring, supporting and communicating a prioritized legislative and policy agenda.
- Recruit, cultivate, elect and maintain positive working relationships with pro-public education candidates for public office and public officials.
- Advocate for adequate and equitable policies, practices and resources that drive the OEA vision of raising achievement and closing gaps for all students.